Adding water materials to the Stoa project resulted in an unacceptable degradation in performance.
This is one of those times when I am a bit jealous of 3D graphics outside of the context of virtual reality. The Babylon JS Water Material looks fantastic in traditional 3D scenes but doesn’t look great in VR and leads to a drop in frame rate. I marked this lab as a failure for now.
I made a simple placeholder fountain using a lathe. The geometry is all one mesh. Then I added a particle emitter and added a mesh to render the water material. I also played with adding some sound, but that got annoying during development.
See the walkthrough video for the end state of the lab.